Scope has been offering MARC record services for ebooks, journals and other technical publications of publishers, information aggregators and leading standards organizations. Leveraging this experience, Scope has developed mARCat™ to enable the creation of MARC records for content using dynamic cataloging templates based on MARC standards and AACR 2 / RDA rules. The records are validated by Scope’s subject matter experts (SMEs). While the mARCat™ platform creates dynamic tags / MARC fields (i.e. customizable to clients’ requirements), the data-rich tagging (enhanced / enriched with all relevant metadata) improves the discoverability of the content. The platform is designed to handle all possible MARC tags for a given bibliographic record.
Scope will also employ its mARCat™ platform for extracting MARC catalogs from Integrated Library Systems (ILS) of its client. The MARC catalog analysis process will be carried out to identify the error categories in the MARC records like Metadata missing in MARC tags, misplaced data and incorrect data. The MARC records created by the mARCat™ platform are compatible with major Integrated Library Systems (ILS) such as Innovative Interfaces (Millennium, Polaris), SirsiDynix and Koha.
To ensure quality of the final output, Scope has stringent quality measures in place at each stage of the MARC creation process. Scope uses advanced technologies to convert the final output files as per clients’ requirement.
With robust technology-assisted processes and its team’s expertise, Scope is well positioned to perform:
- Original Cataloging – Creation of MARC records for the given bibliographic record. Scope uses its mARCat™ platform for creating MARC records for different input categories such as e-book, magazine, serials, map, journals, gazette, gazetter, acts, proceedings, audio / video recordings across the formats – structured & semi-structured (XML, HTML / SGML, Excel, editable PDF, txt, .doc) and unstructured (tiff, scanned images) based on the standards.
- Copy Cataloging – Validating / Updating the MARC records based on the standards and enriching the records with inclusion of key tags missing in the record such as target audience, regional tags, identifiers like ISSN / ISBN, ISNI, DOI, supplemental information and clustering / grouping of records based on subject, language, conferences, etc. to improve the discoverability of the records.
- MARC Catalog Analysis – Analysis of MARC catalogs with a large number of MARC records to identify errors in MARC records such as missing metadata in MARC tags, incomplete metadata, misplaced data and incorrect data. MARC catalogs retrieved from Integrated Library Systems (ILS) will include MARC records from different sources and the errors (specified above) available in the records will hinder the findability of the records. Scope will analyze the MARC records and report the aberrant error patterns which require correction.
- Crosswalk Services
- AACR2 to RDA Crosswalk – Transformation of MARC records in AACR2 format to RDA format, a new cataloguing guideline.
- ONIX to MARC Crosswalk – Conversion of ONIX version of metadata to MARC21 format. Scope’s mARCat™ can handle all versions of ONIX (2.0, 3.0 and 3.1)
- KBART to MARC Crosswalk – Conversion of KBART metadata to MARC21 format. The metadata provided in the KBART template will be used for creating MARC records by mapping KBART metadata with the MARC tags
- Klopotek-XML to MARC Crosswalk – Conversion of Klopotek-XML version of metadata to MARC21 format